Sand Casting Foundry
Archibald Young Foundry are renowned experts in copper based and aluminium alloy castings.
We are a family run business that extends over three generations, with the current Managing Director, Andrew Young taking over the running of the business from his father Ian in 2014.
The company has built up an enviable reputation for the provision of copper based and aluminium alloy castings over 60 plus years of trading.
Below is a brief history of the business, which serves to demonstrate how the business has evolved, invested and developed our workforce to ensure that it meets the needs of the marketplace.
History of the Archibald Young
- 1959 – Archibald Young LTD is founded in Kirkintilloch. Archibald Young chooses to go into brass founding because he felt there was no requirement for another steel foundry, all he needed was a furnace and a hole in the ground.
- 1969 – Ian Young joins the company following graduating University. He undertakes a four-year apprenticeship in the foundry. This covers everything from simple castings and melting alloys to brushing the floor.
- 1973 – The first custom built foundry is established in Kirkintilloch. Following this Ian sets out to create a wider customer base for the company.
- 1986 – Following an investment in electric melting facilities the product range is extended to include iron alloys.
- 1998 – Ian Young takes full control of the foundry.
- 2001 – Following an investment of £300,000 Archibald Young introduces a new Foundry in Motherwell, Scotland. This new location employs 20 people and includes an integrated foundry, pattern shop and machine shop.
- 2007 – Archibald Young acquires Peel Jones Copper Products, based in the North East of England. Peel Jones specialises in copper castings to the steel industry worldwide.
- 2014 – Andrew Young takes over from father Ian as managing director of Archibald Young LTD.